UGN SafeNet |
ISP Initiative |
Definition of Unsolicited Bulk Email
Many ISP Companies and Domain Registration firms believe that the definition of "spam", Unsolicited Bulk Email (UBE) or Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE) is vague and unclearly defined. They use that as an excuse not to directly deal with the problem.
The definition of UBE, commonly known as "spam," is not vague, nor difficult to identify. This definition is included in this initiative to clearly identify conditions underwhich participating ISPs would suspend and/or block the IP addresses where UBE originates, or those advertised within the UBE.
ANY Email which meets any of the following criteria is classified as UBE:
- General Definition:
UBE is any email sent in bulk to any recipient without his or her advanced knowledge, or consent.
- False Identity of "Sender" Domain
Any email that is sent in bulk from a domain or IP number/address which is registered in the global whois using false or forged contact information intended to elude detection (Registering Domains under a false identity)
- False Identity of "Advertiser" Domain
Any email that is sent in bulk advertising a product or service linking to a domain or IP number which is registered in the global whois using false or forged contact information intended elude detection
- False Identity of "From" Email Header
Any email that is sent in bulk using a false or forged "FROM" field, intended to intentionally mask the sender's real email address or the identity of the real sender to evade detection
- Forged "Routing" Email Header
Any email that is sent in bulk which incorporates any false or forged information in the email HEADER with the intent to evade detection
- Fraudulent "Subject" Email Header
Any email that is sent in bulk using a fraudulent or intentionally misleading SUBJECT line specifically intending to deceive, and cause the recipient to open the email
- False Identity of "Reply" Information
Any email that is sent in bulk containing false or forged contact addresses or phone numbers within the body of the message, with the specific intent to elude detection
- Email Encoding to Elude Human Readability
Any email that is sent in bulk which contains links, and/or identification code which is intentionally encoded or shrouded to avoid human or machine readability
- Covert Attempts to Extract Private Data
Any email containing any code or any computer language within the body of the message with the specific intent of covertly returning data to the sender, about the recipient, without that recipient's prior knowledge and permission. (Not limited to "Bulk" email!)
- Intent to Compromise Email Servers
Any email that is sent in bulk containing any code or any computer language with the specific intent of compromising mail server security, or identifying compromised servers. ("Computer Tresspass" Not limited to "Bulk" email!)
- Attempt to Load Data from a Remote Server
Any email that is sent in bulk containing any code or tag intended to display visual or audio material within the body of the email, which must be sent (or downloaded) to the recipient from a remote server without the recipient's prior knowledge and permission.
- Attachment of Executable Files
Any email that is sent in bulk which includes attached files, requiring download from a remote server, intended to display an image, initiate a video, or sound, or otherwise execute a software program on the recipient's computer without the recipient's prior knowledge and permission.
- Covert Attachments
Any email, sent in bulk, including attached files which covertly download to the recipient's computer, intended to reside and function there without the recipient's knowledge or detection. ("Computer Tresspass" Not limited to "Bulk" email!)
- Violation "Obscenity" Code
Any email which traffics in, distributes or offers to distribute materials, or contains words, pictures or other matter defined as "obscene" or "pornographic" by the Federal Trade Commission and the U.S. Postal Service. (Chapter 18, Federal Code)
- Violation of "Pornography" Code
Any email which contains pictures of or words illustrating, describing or insinuating sexual situations involving minors or animals (Chapter 18, Federal Code)
- Violation of "Violent Acts" Code
Any email which incites, describes, or depicts any act of rape, murder or other violent crime against any person or group of persons. (Chapter 18, Federal Code)
- Intent to Market UBE
Any email, sent in bulk, advertising any product or service for the sole purpose of
- selling an email address list to be used to send UBE,
- sending bulk UBE for hire
- collecting e-mail addresses to be used to send UBE,
- selling a list of open relay servers used to send UBE
- selling a list of compromised email servers
- selling hardware or software which counterfeits, masks or otherwise tampers with email headers for the purpose of eluding detection
- Intent to Defraud
Any email that openly offers a product or service which would qualify as a misdemeanor or felony within the recipient's legal district, including but not limited to:
- offering false or forged drivers licenses
- offering false or forged college or university diplomas
- offering methods, training or instruction to elude Federal Income Taxes
- offering false or insider trading tips on stocks or bonds
- offering payment for sheltering foreign currency of any kind
- offering financial gain or wealth through multi-level, pyramid or chain-letter schemes
- offering commercial software that has been pirated, stolen, or repackaged
- offering any device, software, technique, training or instruction to enhance, break, evade or circumvent or otherwise burglarize any regulatory encryption on any broadcast signal including cell phones, cable TV, internet access or satellite signal.
- offering any compound or pharmaceutical substance, remedy or elixir which is not approved by the proper regulatory administrations.
- offering any product or substance which is illegal or subject to Federal, State or local taxation for the purpose of evading regulation and/or taxation. (Tobacco, fire arms, certain drug paraphernalia and/or OTC drugs)
- Any email sent in bulk offering any product, device, treatment or substance claiming to enhance or increase any human body part, function or activity which is not approved by the proper regulatory administration.
- Intent to Defraud
Any email sent in bulk for the sole purpose of deceiving or defrauding the recipient for the personal benefit of the sender.
Updated: May 16, 2003
Introduction & UBE Truths |
Next: ISP Initiative |
Return to the Safe Netting Page ... or contact us
Get Involved contact: The User Group network ... This service provided in part by the generous support of the Appleseeds Foundation, the Global User Group Registry; User Group Network, the Graphic Design Network, the Designers' Bookshelf, and the Design & Publishing Center ... All of the content in this web site is copyright by various authors, and by the User Group Network as a collection, 1999 through 2006. All Rights Reserved. UGNN is located in Harrisonburg, Virginia, in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia