AlternativeTo is a website dedicated to finding good alternatives to software that you may not want to use. For example some people want to do iCloud type syncing, but it doesn’t support Android. So what to do?
For the above example, it suggests the following possible Alternatives:
Google Sync, which works on Apple Platforms, Microsoft Platforms, Android Platforms, Linux, and Blackberry. It then explains that “Google Sync is a service from Google that provides over-the-air synchronization of Gmail, Google Contacts, and Google Calendar with PC and mobile device Mail, Calendar and Address Book applications. As you switch phones, …”
It then gives the following additional suggestions with similar details:
- Soocial (for Mac, iPhone, Windows, Android, Online, Java Mobile and Blackberry)
- Cargo (for Mac and Windows)
- Spanning Sync (commercial) by Charlie Wood (Mac)
- Phone Copy (Free) by e-FRACTAL (Mac, iPhone, iPad, Windows, Android, Android Tablet, Online and S60)
- onemediahub (Free for personal use), (Mac, iPhone, iPad, Windows, Android and Blackberry)
- OggSync (Free with limited functionality by ICOA), (Mac, Windows and Win Mobile)
They don’t list Fruux.com which is Free for Individuals, syncs unlimited contacts, unlimited calendars, unlimited tasks, uses Amazon Web Services and is always encrypted. It covers Mac OS X, iOS, Android, Nokia N9 and Thunderbird)
There is a section near the center of the screen where you can select from topics of “New & Popular”, “Most Views”, “Most Likes”, “Recent” and “No Alternatives.” The last being a list of 1,401 applications with no known alternatives.
See AlternattiveTo at: http://alternativeto.net/