Ben Popken has written this article for The Consumerist actually titled: ”7 Things Ex-Geek Squad Employee Wishes Every Computer Novice Knew.”
I think that most technicians would agree that each person should know these 7 items.
- Keep all your data backed up.
- Have recovery discs for each computer you have.
- One antivirus at a time, please.
- Don’t install tool bars, they’re bloatware that will slow down your internet speeds.
- “Free” stuff can be expensive.
- Computers don’t like liquids.
- No computer is immortal.
There is a lot more detail at: http://consumerist.com/2010/07/7-things-geek-squad-employee-wishes-every-computer-moron-knew.html