Independent developer James Hollender’s Life Inventory app has achieved a rating of 5 Stars. Using an iPhone or iPod touch, users can learn more about themselves than they ever thought possible, and only at a small fraction the cost of a single office visit to a therapist. Life Inventory is the new name for the Step 4 Moral Inventory Jr app. Originally designed for 12-steppers it was discovered the inventory would also be of benefit to anyone, which is why the name change.
Here’s what some users are saying about Life Inventory:
1. This app is amazing! – “This app is a must have for anyone looking to do a thorough moral inventory of yourself that helps summarize your thoughts, events, emotions, and actions of your life. With writing, honesty, support and prayer, this app will help you locate and find what triggers your behaviors. With well written instructions and easy to follow step by step sections, this app truly is an eye opener to my life and is definitely worth the download. The amount I saved on this app verses a therapy session makes it even more worth it. I have only scratched the surface, but can already tell this app is going to help me a ton.”
2. Great App, Great Price! – “I have to admit – I was a little skeptical when deciding to buy this app. It is not often that I spend $9.99 on an iPhone app, but I can honestly say it is worth every cent. After talking to people I know who have gone to therapy and counseling classes I’ve come to find out that this app is highly comparable in the questions that are being asked and also provides a huge cost savings. This app is a great alternative to those individuals who may not be able to afford therapy classes. Life Inventory is truly an awesome app and does what it says it can do. I highly recommend this app to anyone who has a lot going on in their life and needs to take time to Stop, Review, and Analyze why they are feeling the way they are and why they do the things they do. Great app all around!”
3. Highly Recommended – “Life can get us to points where we do not know where to turn or how to fix our situations, ultimately needing guidance or help. If you are someone who is looking to improve your life and want to diagnose some potential problem areas that need work, if so, then I would recommend you try this app. It asks you specific questions and offers you valuable insight and answers based on the information you enter. The $9.99 is just an investment into your future which I promise you will be one of the best investments you have made in a while! It certainly worked for me and gave me a new outlook and caused me to re-prioritize some key areas in my life. Try it out!”
Note: The terms “Life Inventory” and “Moral Inventory” are interchangeable.
Life Inventories Can Help Anyone: Although originally designed for persons participating in 12-Step programs, it has since been discovered a Moral Inventory can help anyone analyze their life to learn more about themselves than ever imagined possible … and at only a small fraction the cost of a single visit to a therapist. Examine your reactions to:
- Institutions and Organizations
- Principles, Ideals and Beliefs
- Sources of Anxiety and Excitement
- Sex Relations
The Life Inventory app was created because of the complexity and length of time needed to complete a proper Moral Inventory. When persons working their way through a 12-step program start creating their own moral inventory and discover that some ways of doing a Moral Inventory might require a thousand spreadsheets, the task seems daunting and many never get around to finishing it, thus depriving themselves of the rewards a completed Moral Inventory can provide. This app is an attempt at finding a way to make the task less time consuming, while at the same time helping the user create a valuable asset in their recovery process.
Storage of the Life Inventory data is done using an underlying database which can be backed up and restored as necessary.
Disclaimer – This app is neither officially produced nor approved by Alcoholics Anonymous or any other Addiction Recovery program. From what is known there have been many Moral Inventory spreadsheets circulating unofficially among AA members for at least 50 years in various versions and this app is based on one the developer found to be useful and more comprehensive than most.
Many thanks to “George” and his “Dungeon Prison Complete” spreadsheet which has been used as the outline for this app. This spreadsheet was developed based on years of his own personal research of the AA Big Book, along with help from many others who had already gone through the process of completing their own Moral Inventories. This was done in order to more fully understand the concepts necessary for completing his own Moral Inventory. George’s extensive research resulted in the creation of the “Dungeon Prison Complete” spreadsheet, a detailed set of instructions on how to create a Moral Inventory, including several new concepts not directly covered in the AA Big Book: Sources of Anxiety/Excitement as a 4th Category; and a set of Sex Relations exercises. Both of these new elements were discovered to be critical in eventually understanding why we do what we do, the end result of completing your own Moral Inventory.
Anyone, Not Just 12-Steppers, Can Benefit from Completing a Life Inventory:
The process of completing a Life Inventory doesn’t directly address addictions specifically, but rather helps the user examine in detail events that have transpired in their life. The Life Inventory app gently assists the user in probing into not only what happened, but also why it happened. The questions asked help the user delve into areas often never considered before like:
- What did I want?
- Why did I want it?
- What am I not admitting?
- What lie did I tell myself? (always present)
- What did I leave out or not say?
- What lie did I tell others?
- Have I ever done the same thing?
- Was it any of my business?
- Were my expectations reasonable?
- What was the real truth?
- What was I not seeing?
- Did I fail to see the facts of the situation?
- What actions did I take to get what I wanted?
- What actions did I omit to get what I wanted?
Sometimes the questions are difficult to answer, but once done, they help provide significant insight into why certain choices were made and, more importantly, determining there are often alternative choices available which will make life so much better in the future.
The Life Inventory app is available in the iTunes App Store. The current price is $9.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and can be found in the Lifestyle and Education categories. Promo codes are available for qualified reviewers. Please specify the website, blog or organization you represent when making your request. Category: HEALTHCARE
James Hollender, a well seasoned Information Technology professional, has been familiar with Apple products since the days of the first Macintosh computer and has been involved with object oriented programming since the introduction of Java, culminating most recently writing apps in Objective C for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. His most recent iOS work has involved Xcode 4′s new storyboard feature and using Automatic Reference Counting (ARC). His innovative ideas have resulted in numerous suggestion and other awards including a commendation from The President of the United States. Copyright (C) 2012 James Hollender. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.